Vedder & South Sumas Intersection
The Vedder Road and South Sumas Road Intersection Design-Build project has reached substantial completion. The key goal for this project was to construct road widening and signal upgrades to provide designated northbound and southbound left turn lanes at South Sumas Road. In addition, improvements to street lighting, drainage and sidewalks were also incorporated. Residents can expect a significant reduction in traffic congestion and improved signal operation with these upgrades.
The contractor worked hard to minimize traffic congestion and impact to the community during construction by adjusting times of road construction, maximizing efficiencies to reduce total length of construction period, and completing the most impactful construction works at night.
- Property acquisition
- Third party utility relocations and ducting (Hydro/communications)
- 260m of road widening
- Curb, gutter and 3m wide sidewalks
- Storm sewer system upgrades
- Designated northbound and southbound left turn lanes
- Traffic signal infrastructure and controller upgrades
- New streetlighting
- Asphalt repairs and overlay
- Roadway markings and signage
Remaining work includes minor deficiencies, bus bench reinstallation and backup vehicle detection loop installations.
For monthly updates on transportation construction projects, subscribe to our e-newsletter.