Railways in Chilliwack
CN Railway Closures
Upper Prairie Road between Yale Road and Chilliwack Central Road
From Tuesday, February 20 at 8 am to Wednesday, February 21 at 8 pm, Upper Prairie Road will be fully closed at the CN railway for track repairs. The railway crossing will be impassable, please use an alternate route. Local traffic only.
Yale Road between Old Yale Road and Sussex Drive
From Saturday, February 24 at 8 am to Monday, February 26 at 1 pm, Yale Road will be fully closed at the CN railway for track repairs. The railway crossing will be impassable, please use an alternate route. Local traffic only.
Lickman Road between Industrial Way and Progress Way
From Wednesday, February 28 at 8 am to Thursday, February 29 at 8 pm, Lickman Road will be fully closed at the CN railway for track repairs. The railway crossing will be impassable so please use an alternate route. Local traffic only.
Railway Grade Crossing Standards and Regulations
Railway Grade Crossing Standards and Regulations are a set of documents that detail requirements for all existing and new railway grade crossings in Canada. New standards were brought into force for railways regulated by Transport Canada in November 2014 and for railways regulated by Technical Safety BC in September 2020.
The date for compliance for all crossings is January 1, 2028. The prime directive is to improve safety at rail/road grade crossings in terms of surface condition, signage, sightlines, geometry and circuitry.
CN Rail has completed works necessary to meet requirements. Southern Railway is currently working completing necessary works to be compliant.
New Railway Crossing Signals
Newly installed railway crossing flashing lights, bells and gate systems are now operational at the following two southern railway locations:
- Yarrow Central Road east of Wilson Road
- Vedder Road north of Spruce Drive
- Knight Road at the Valley Rail Trail east of Vedder Road is currently under detailed design for this Southern Railway crossing. Upgrades will include:
- Crossing flashing lights, bells and gates
- Civil works connecting to bike lanes and sidewalks
- Crosswalk improvements for the Valley Rail Trail
Surface Crossing Repairs/Improvements
Constant vibration of vehicles and trains over the crossing surface leads to the deterioration of the ties and surface materials. The following railway crossings and rail repairs were completed this spring:
|Yarrow Central Rd
Canadian National Railway (CN Rail) and Southern Railway (SRY Rail link) operate two railway lines within the City of Chilliwack.
- 40 km of railway lines run through Chilliwack (approx. 24 km of CN and 16 km of SRY).
- 31 railway crossing locations intersect with our roadway network.
- Railways help reduce congestion on highways.
- Transportation of natural resources, manufactured products, and finished goods throughout North America each year.
- Railway crossings intersect roads along their route and require maintenance and repairs from time to time.
Railway crossings intersect roads along their route and require maintenance and repairs from time to time. The constant vibration of vehicles and trains over the crossing surface leads to advancing the deterioration of the ties and surface materials.
Want to learn more?
|Map of railways in Chilliwack