Youth Engagement Projects (YEP) Grant
Great ideas can come from community members of all ages. Youth have a unique perspective and ideas for how to enhance the neighbourhoods they live in.
The Youth Engagement Projects (YEP) Grant is a matching grant of up to $1,000 that empowers youth to engage in their community through neighbourhood-enhancing projects and events. As youth work together on their proposed projects, this grant will create the opportunity for them to build relationships and leadership skills, develop neighbourhood pride and have fun!
This grant stream supports youth ages 13-19 that have ideas to improve upon their neighbourhoods through matching funding, resource assistance, and staff mentorship/guidance. When a grant is approved, the applicants will work to coordinate and implement their project with support from City staff.
- Projects must enhance one of the following aspects of neighbourhood: aesthetics, leadership, safety, social offerings, or relationships
- Projects must be accessible to the public
- Applicants must be between 13-19 years of age
- Each application must be jointly submitted by a minimum of two youth (aged 13-19) from different households in Chilliwack
- Adult sponsors are required
- Applications must be submitted through our website at chilliwack.com/YouthGrant
For more information about the YEP Grant, check out these Frequently Asked Questions, or contact the Recreation and Culture Department at 604.793.2904.
Potential project ideas are endless! We encourage all applicants to get creative and bring your own passion and flavour into your project or event. To get you started, here are just a few ideas that could be eligible for a YEP Grant:
- Community gardens
- Block parties
- Skill building workshops (e.g. cooking, knitting, gardening)
- Bicycle maintenance and/or registration
- Local environmental awareness and stewardship day
- Park or trail clean-up
- Inter-generational or inter-cultural projects/events
- Graffiti removal
- Neighbourhood tree planting
- Storm drain painting
Need help narrowing down your ideas? Contact the Recreation and Culture Department at 604.793.2904 or firstname.lastname@example.org and we’d be happy to help!