Assisting the Snow Removal Effort
During winter snowstorm events, our efforts are delayed by having to deal with situations that are time-consuming and potentially dangerous. We respectfully request that you, the homeowner, assist our effort by considering the following:
- Where possible, remove all vehicles from the street in front of your house to facilitate the passage of snowplows and sanders.
- Ensure your vehicle is equipped with tires that are in good condition and are suitable for winter driving conditions.
- While driving behind a snow plow/sander maintain a good distance back to avoid loose flying sand and gravel.
- Report any dangerous or black ice conditions particularly at intersections and stop signs. This will help us eliminate dangerous ice patches in a timely manner.
- Do not place garbage cans and recycling boxes on the road; keep them on the sidewalk and remove them as soon as possible after they are emptied.
- When shoveling snow from sidewalks and driveways, place the snow to the right of the driveway (as you face the street) since this helps limit the amount of snow plowed back into your driveway.
- If you have a catch basin (street drain) at the curb in front of your house, please remove snow from the top and immediate vicinity so that the melting snow will go into the basin and not into your driveway or house. To confirm if you have a catch basin in front of your house, go to maps.chilliwack.com and check the "Storm" layer under the Utilities icon or call 604.792.9311 to request information about catch basin locations.
- Never place snow onto the street in hope that the snowplow will push it away. Snowplows push to the right, so the snow would then be directed back into your driveway. Also, any snow that you place back on the road is dangerous to vehicular traffic.
- Do not attempt to stop the sanding and plow truck drivers. All requests for service must be made by calling 604.793.2810.
- Please instruct children to walk on the left side of the road. Facing traffic will allow for recognition of oncoming snow removal equipment and traffic in general.
- Instruct children to not build structures in snow banks on the sides of the streets as children may be injured by the equipment widening the traveled road lanes.
- Advise children against playing sports on the streets when the streets are to be plowed and sanded. This causes hazards for the operators and for other motorists, since stopping distances increase with poor road conditions.
We thank you in advance for your understanding, patience and co-operation.