How You Can Help During Winter Weather
Help Your Neighbours
- Adopt the sidewalk of a senior or person with limited mobility, if you can. Help keep sidewalks and street drains clear.
Make Room for Snowplows
- Park off-street where possible to give plows and sanders enough room to safely pass.
- Keep curbside collection bins off of the road.
- Do not try to stop the sand and plow truck drivers.
- Property owners or tenants are responsible for clearing the sidewalk next to their home by noon the day after a snowfall, under the City’s Highway and Traffic Bylaw.
- Please consider all sidewalks users in a snowfall event. Even the slightest amount of snow left un-shoveled can negatively impact those that require mobility aids.
- Find more information at chilliwack.com/sidewalks.
Clear Street Drains
- Keep snow, leaves, and other debris off of street drains to help avoid flooding if you are able.
- Report blocked drains to our Operations Department at 604.793.2810.
Shovel Snow onto Your Lawn, Not the Street
- Do not shovel snow onto the street.
- Pile snow to the right of your driveway (when facing the street) to reduce the chance of plows pushing snow back onto your driveway.
- Clear snow away from fire hydrants to make them easier to locate in an emergency.
- Make sure your vehicle is properly equipped for winter driving conditions.
- Keep a large distance when following a snow plow/sander to avoid loose, flying sand.
- Report any dangerous or black ice conditions to 604.793.2810.