No person shall make, or cause or allow to be made, in or on a highway or elsewhere in the City, any noise or sound which disturbs or tends to disturb the quiet, peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort or convenience of the public, neighbourhood or persons in the vicinity.
- No person shall cause, permit or allow the following noises or sounds:
- any noise or sound caused by, or made in the course of the construction, alteration, repair or demolition of any building, structure or thing, at any time on Sundays or on any day before 7:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m.
- where a "Commercial" or "Industrial" zone borders a "Residential" zone, any noise or sound, the level of which exceeds 65 dBA during the night.
- where a "Commercial" or "Industrial" zone borders a zone which is other than a "Residential" zone, any noise or sound, the level of which exceeds 80 dBA during the night.
- any noise or sound emanating from an outdoor assembly or public address system between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. the level of which exceeds 90 dBA.
- any noise or sound at night emanating from an outdoor assembly or public address system between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.
- The Noise Control Bylaw does not apply to:
- the operation of an emergency vehicle proceeding upon an emergency;
- the emergency repair of a public utility or highway by a utility company or by the City or its contractors;
- the carrying on of a permitted agricultural operation;
- the construction, alteration, repair or demolition of any building, structure or thing, between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. of the same day, Monday to Saturday;
- the operation of road maintenance equipment by the City or the Province, or their agents, including snow removal or highway cleaning operations;
- operation of a public address system under a building or fire code;
- the use of bells or chimes for the announcing of public worship services.
NOTE: This information guide is provided as a general reference only. A complete certified copy of the bylaw is available for reading or purchase from the Clerk's Department at the Municipal Hall, 8550 Young Road, Chilliwack, Monday to Friday between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, 604.793.2986.