Updated June 10, 2006

"Consumer Fireworks" include all fireworks, except display fireworks, Christmas crackers, sparklers and caps for toy guns.

  • "Family Fireworks" means LOW hazard fireworks generally used for personal display, such as showers, fountains, golden rain, lawn lights, pin wheels, volcanoes and sparklers.
  • "Display Fireworks" means HIGH hazard fireworks generally used for public or commercial displays, such as rockets, serpents, shells, bombshells, toubillions, maroons, large wheels, bouquets, barrages, bombardos, waterfalls, fountains, set pieces and  pigeons.
  • No person shall sell, give, fire or set off "family or consumer fireworks".
  • No person shall sell, give, possess, fire or set off firecrackers at any time.
  • No person shall set off any fireworks in a public place or on any civic property without a display permit and permission of the Local Assistant to the Fire Commissioner.
  • No person shall sell or otherwise dispose of fireworks to a person under the age of 18 years and no person under the age of 18 years shall possess or set off any fireworks.
  • Any person 18 years of age or older desiring to fire, set off, or explode display fireworks for the purpose of the observance or celebration of a special event, festival, or theatrical performances must apply for a display permit to the local assistant 10 days prior to the event.
  • No person shall set off or otherwise use fireworks in a manner which creates a substantial risk of physical injury to any person or damage to any property.
  • An applicant for a "Permit for Fireworks Event"  must provide evidence they are authorized by Natural Resources Canada to possess or set off display fireworks.
  • The Fireworks and Explosives Acts of Canada apply within the City.
  • Please refer to Bylaw 3246 for complete information on the regulations and prohibitions of fireworks.

 NOTE: This information guide is provided as a general reference only.  A complete certified copy of the bylaw is available for reading or purchase from the Clerk's Department at the Municipal Hall, 8550 Young Road, Chilliwack, Monday to Friday between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, [604.793.2986.