The use of consumer fireworks and firecrackers is illegal within the City of Chilliwack. Please be aware that although consumer fireworks may be available for sale nearby, they cannot be used within City of Chilliwack limits.
In accordance with the City of Chilliwack’s Fireworks Regulation Bylaw:
- The sale and purchase of fireworks and firecrackers is prohibited.
- The possession and discharge of consumer fireworks and firecrackers is prohibited at all times.
- Consumer fireworks are fireworks sold for use by the general public and include items such as Roman candles, sparklers, fountains, volcanoes, mines, and snakes.
- The possession and discharge of display fireworks is prohibited unless a valid Permit has been obtained.
- Display fireworks are fireworks designed for professional use only.
- Persons in possession of fireworks and/or firecrackers may be subject to fines of $500 and confiscation of the items.
Fireworks that are illegally discharged by untrained individuals pose a potential public safety risk, as they endanger the individuals discharging the fireworks, bystanders, and surrounding property and infrastructure. The illegal discharge of fireworks can result in property damage and fire, and personal injuries including burns, eye-related injuries, lacerations, etc. Fireworks are also considered by many in our community to be a nuisance when being illegally discharged as they are loud and disruptive to humans and pets.
Permits for Display Fireworks
Organizers of large display events within the City of Chilliwack must apply for and obtain a Permit for Display Fireworks Event from the Chilliwack Fire Department. This permit is not available for those wishing to discharge consumer fireworks. Permits will only be issued to those who meet the requirements outlined in the Fireworks Regulation Bylaw. Requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Permit application must be submitted at least ten days prior to the date upon which the event is to occur.
- Applicant must be authorized by Natural Resources Canada to possess and fire, set off or explode “display fireworks” and must provide proof of such authorization.
- A letter of approval from the property owner must be submitted – see schedule C.
- A Certificate of Insurance must be submitted – see schedule B for full insurance requirements.
For firework and firecracker complaints in Chilliwack:
- Call City of Chilliwack Bylaw Enforcement at 604-793-2908 between the hours of 8:30am to 4:30pm.
- Afterhours, call the RCMP non-emergency line at 604-792-4611.
- Do NOT call 911 unless it is an emergency.
NOTE: This information guide is provided as a general reference only. A complete certified copy of the bylaw is available for reading or purchase from the Clerk's Department at the Municipal Hall, 8550 Young Road, Chilliwack, Monday to Friday between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, 604.793.2986.