Press Releases

Press Release
Electronic Smoking Material Causes Fire January 19, 2018


On January 18, 2018 at approximately 8:30pm the Chilliwack Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire located in a townhouse complex in the 5900 block of Vedder Road. Three people were home at the time of the fire. One of the occupants noticed an electronic smoking device malfunction in a bag, and stated that the device was sparking and exploded which caught materials in the room on fire. The occupants took the appropriate actions by closing the door to the room of fire origin and calling 911, as they evacuated the building.

Firefighters responded from Halls 1, 4, and 6, and on arrival, reported light smoke on the second floor of the two story townhouse. Smoke alarms were activated in the home and occupants were out of the building when fire crews arrived. Fire crews setup an aggressive offensive attack, entered the structure, and found light smoke on the second floor with heavy black smoke in the room of origin. Firefighters extinguished the fire and ventilated the structure. The townhouse suffered minor fire and smoke damage to the interior of the structure.

There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.

This fire appears to be accidental and caused by electronic smoking materials.

Chilliwack Fire Dept. wants to remind the public that working smoke alarms save lives, and to follow manufacturer recommendations when using and/or storing electronic devices.

Back to Press Releases