Ready To Do Your Part? Spare Our Air
You can help improve air quality and use energy more wisely by turning off your engine when your vehicle is parked.
Here are 5 simple steps to reduce needless idling:
1. Reduce warm-up idling — start driving after no more than 30 seconds of idling, assuming your vehicle’s windows are clear. Excessive idling is not good for your engine.
2. Turn it off after 10 seconds — turn your engine off if you are going to be stopped for more than 10 seconds, except in traffic.
3. Minimize use of remote car starters — these devices encourage you to start your vehicle before you are ready to leave, which means wasteful idling.
4. Use a block heater — in temperatures below 0ºC, use this device to warm up the engine before starting your vehicle. This will improve fuel efficiency and reduce exhaust emissions.
5. Spread the word — talk about it and eourage friends and family to join you.