CAPE Special Event Permits

For Public and Private events (e.g., Weddings, Tastings and Community Festivals):

If you want to serve liquor in a public place or sell liquor anywhere, you will need either a private or public Special Event Permit. Here's what you need to know:

Pursuant to the provisions of the Liquor Control and Licensing Branch, Council shall appoint a Committee to Approve Public Events (CAPE), who shall have the responsibility and authority to approve public Special Event Permits in the City of Chilliwack, subject to the conditions of Policy Directive No. J-6 – Special Event Permits (Public Events involving Alcohol) – Terms of Reference – Committee to Approve Public Events.  There are two categories for Special Event Permits involving alcohol held in Chilliwack:

  1. Public functions, are events that are open to the public and have been publicly advertised in any type of media. Such events include tournaments, special events and festivals. Public event functions must be approved through the CAPE process (see CAPE Application checklist) and successful applicants will receive a Public Special Event Permit.

  2. Private functions, are events limited to family celebrations, organization membership and invited guests.  The identities of all guests are known by the members of the family or organization, either directly or indirectly prior to the event taking place. These events are granted as a Private Special Event. The CAPE Committee is not responsible for issuing Private Special Event Permits.

Special Event Permits are obtained and approved through the Liquor Control and Licensing Branch online process at

All groups interested in applying for Special Event Permits for public events are to submit their requests to the Committee a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the scheduled meeting date(s) set by the Committee, which are listed below.   Application forms for Special Event Permits are available online or from the Corporate Services Department.  Completed forms are to be returned to the City of Chilliwack’s Corporate Services Department, inclusive of all requested documents as specified on the application form. 

CAPE Scheduled Meetings are at 10:00 am on the last Wednesday of the month:

January 25, February 22, March 29, April 26, May 31, June 28, July 26, August 30, September 27, October 25 and November 29

Description Date File Size
CAPE Special Event Application & Security Plan 2018-06-12 148KB
CAPE Special Event Brochure 2017-02-10 367KB
CAPE Special Event Checklist 2017-05-09 69KB
CAPE Special Event Policy Directive 2018-03-22 36KB
LCLB Special Event Permits - Terms and Conditions 2017-02-10 2.54MB
Liquor Licence Information 2017-02-10 101KB