Open Air Burning
Please contact the Fire Department at 604.792.8713 to report violations.
Outdoor burning is prohibited except for the following 2020 burning seasons:
Open Air Burning Bylaw
Key components of the City's Open Air Burning Regulation Bylaw include:
- Land clearing burning is prohibited.
- Open air burning is limited to 2 separate seasons per year (Apply online for your burning permit)
- March 1 to April 30 (March 26 in 2020)
- October 1 to November 30
- Burning is only permitted when the Environment Canada ventilation index is good or fair. For the current venting index, contact the Bylaw Department at 604.793.2908 or check our website.
- Burning pile size restrictions and minimum setbacks apply.
- Burning is only permitted between the hours of 7:00am and 10:00pm.
- An adult must be present at all times during the burn.
- Burning restrictions do not apply to gas fueled appliances such as BBQ’s or outdoor heaters.
- Bylaw violations will result in fines ranging from $250 - $1000 per offence.
Additional information and requirements are available from the City of Chilliwack Bylaw Dept at 604.793.2908 or the Fire Dept at 604.792.8713. You can also review bylaw "Open Air Burning Regulation Bylaw No. 3511" in the bylaw section of the website.
For information on alternatives to burning:
New Provincial Requirements
In addition to the City’s Bylaw requirements, there are new, stricter provincial requirements that apply if you are burning material 10cm (4") in diameter or larger. These include requiring a "good" ventilation index and larger setbacks from residences, schools and other buildings, etc. Please visit the BC Open Burning Smoke Control Regulation website for details.
Please also review the Ministry of Agriculture’s Open Burning Practices webpage for additional guidance on how to minimize smoke production while burning.
The Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development and BC Parks also provide information related open air burning on provincial land:
Burning Permits Online
Apply for your burning permit online! Through our online system, your address will automatically determine if you are eligible for a permit in your area and only properties zoned for burning will be issued permits.
The spring burning season is March 1 - April 30 (March 26 in 2020) and the fall burning season is October 1 - November 30. Please visit www.mychilliwack.com or visit the Bylaw Department at City Hall to obtain your burning permit.
For additional information, please email mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Bylaw Department at 604.793.2908 or the Fire Department at 604.792.8713.
City of Chilliwack - Open Air Burning
Issued: Tuesday Jul 07, 2020
It's not Burning Season!
Open air burning is reduced to 2 separate seasons per year:
|Chilliwack Weather Forecast from Environment Canada|
|2020 Open Air Burning FAQs||2020-05-01||456KB|
|BC Press Release - Open Burning Restrictions - March 26 2020||2020-03-26||1.57MB|