Adopt a River
The City of Chilliwack has partnered with the Chilliwack/Vedder River Cleanup Society (CVRCS) and the Fraser Valley Regional District for the Adopt a River program, aimed at improving the environment of the Vedder/Chilliwack River through organized, regular cleanup events.
Since 2002, the Adopt a River clean up events have collected over 87 tonnes of waste from the Vedder/Chilliwack River shoreline. Events are typically held every April and September.
The 2017 Adopt a River clean up events are on:
- Saturday, April 22
- Register at the Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve
- Register at the Chilliwack Fish and Game Club (48685 Chilliwack Lake Road - next to the Fire Hall)
- Registration: 8:30am - 9:30am (Tim Hortons provides free donuts and coffee)
- Clean-up: 9:00am - 12:00pm
- BC Rivers Day ONLY: Displays and activities from 10:00am-2:00pm. Free BBQ!
The City would like to thank the following sponsors for their support of the Adopt a River program:
- First Class Waste Services
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- Fraser Valley Regional District
- Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve
- Chilliwack Fish & Game Protective Association
- Tim Hortons
- Barton Insurance Brokers
- Fishing with Rod Productions
Adopt a River Program
Under the City's Adopt a River program, community groups adopt sections of the Vedder River or Canal and are responsible for providing litter/garbage collection services twice per year.
For each cleanup event, the City of Chilliwack provides garbage/recycling bags, free disposal on site, and collection service for large items which are too bulky or heavy for the volunteer groups. Each participating group will be acknowledged through an Adopt a River sign installed in their adopted section.
If you are interested in cleaning up Chilliwack's streets instead, please check out the Adopt a Road program!
To view the map in full screen, click here.