This website requires JavaScript. Upgrade your browser or enable JavaScript.

Weed Control

  • Every owner or occupier of real property is required to keep the property clear of noxious weeds, weeds, brush, tall grass and other unsightly growth. In addition, the owner or occupier of property designated as "Residential" pursuant to the City’s Zoning Bylaw is also required to limit the height of grass and similar ground cover vegetation to a maximum of 25cm.
  • The Bylaw Enforcement Officer may enter any real property for any purpose relating to the enforcement of the Weed Control Bylaw and may inspect the property. He may cause a notice in writing to be served on the owner or occupier requiring the removal of weeds, tall grass and other unsightly growth within 5 days. A notice may be served personally, delivered by hand to owner’s residence, sent by registered mail, or left with any person residing on the property who is over the age of 16 years.
  • Where the Bylaw Enforcement Officer is unable to serve a notice because in his opinion the person cannot be readily found or is evading service, or it is unreasonable or impractical to serve the notice by the aforementioned means, he may serve the notice by posting it on the subject property.
  • An owner may appeal a weed control notice to Council through the office of the City Clerk. Council shall hear the matter and decide upon the appeal and the decision of Council shall be final.
  • Where weeds, tall grass or other unsightly growth are not controlled within the time or in the manner specified in the notice, the Bylaw Enforcement Officer may, without further notice, take the action he considers necessary to enter onto the property and control such growth and to charge the expenses incurred for such work to the owner of the property.
  • Charges incurred for such work are certified to the Treasurer of the City and the amount of the charges is immediately due and payable to the City. Any such charges remaining unpaid at the end of the year shall be added to the taxes payable in respect of the property as taxes in arrears.
  • Where an owner has been assessed charges pursuant to the Weed Control Bylaw and can prove to the satisfaction of the City Clerk that unforeseen or unusual circumstances prevented him or her from complying with the order, the City Clerk may waive all or part of the charges.
  • Refusal by an owner or occupier to permit a Bylaw Enforcement Officer, City employee or City contractor to enter onto the property to perform work authorized by the Weed Control Bylaw is a violation of the bylaw.

NOTE: This information guide is provided as a general reference only. A complete certified copy of the bylaw is available for reading or purchase from the Clerk's Department at City Hall, 8550 Young Road, Chilliwack, Monday to Friday between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, 604.793.2986.