- No person shall cause or permit any domestic garbage, trade waste or other unwholesome or offensive matter to accumulate or remain on any real property except when contained in proper garbage cans or trade waste containers.
- No person shall cause or permit any carcass, viscera or offal to accumulate on any real property but shall dispose of the same in a manner approved by the Ministry of Health or other agency having jurisdiction.
- The Bylaw Enforcement Officer is empowered to enter at all reasonable times on any property or premises to ascertain whether the provisions of the Waste Disposal Bylaw are being observed.
- If an owner or occupier of real property fails to comply with the provisions of the bylaw the Bylaw Enforcement Officer may, in writing, order such person to do so within 48 hours. If the owner or occupier fails to remove all garbage or other unwholesome or offensive matter within 48 hours of receipt of the order, the Bylaw Enforcement Officer may enter upon the property and effect such removal at the expense of the owner.
- Every owner or occupier of land shall deliver or cause to be delivered all domestic garbage or waste to the Bailey Waste Disposal Site and shall deliver all other waste to an approved site designated by the City or the provincial or federal government.
- No person shall deliver or cause or permit any domestic garbage, trade waste or other unwholesome or offensive matter to be delivered, placed or dumped on any civic property other than at a City waste disposal site.
- No person shall sort, collect or remove any materials from any City waste disposal site.
- No person shall deliver, place or dump, or cause to be delivered, placed or dumped, at the Bailey Waste Disposal Site the following types of waste:
- hazardous waste, waste oil, raw sewage, septic tank sludge or effluent or special wastes;
- carcasses, offal or viscera;
- materials that are on fire or above a temperature of 65o C;
- trees, tree stumps, logs, land clearing debris, timbers, fence posts, yard waste;
- wood waste originating from industrial operations, construction or demolition sites;
- motor vehicle bodies, farm implements and rubber tires;
- all recyclable cardboard, newspapers, glass bottles, metal cans and type 1 & 2 plastics;
- any refrigerator, freezer or other container unless the latch or door has been removed.
- No person shall deposit or dispose of any waste at any City waste disposal site except as directed by an employee or agent of the City or in the area specified and marked by signs.
NOTE: This information guide is provided as a general reference only. A complete certified copy of the bylaw is available for reading or purchase from the Clerk's Department at City Hall, 8550 Young Road, Chilliwack, Monday to Friday between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, 604.793.2986.